VOCE was established in 2002 by the late Sandy Beam. His dream was to develop a premier choral ensemble featuring some of Surry County’s most talented musicians. In order to maintain that dream he depended on donations to help with financial support.
The group is incorporated in the state of North Carolina for cultural entertainment and educational purposes as a not-for-profit corporation (501-C3).
VOCE is a non-member corporation comprised of the Board of Directors and committees to aid in publicity and fundraising. Vocalists, musicians, and directors who rehearse and perform with the ensemble of VOCE are referred to as Musical Associates. Persons who support VOCE through volunteer efforts, committee assignments, or other endeavors but who do not participate as Musical Associates are referred to as Community Associates.
The Board of Directors is made up of eleven voting members, including seven officers of the organization.
- President — Sharon Gates
- Vice-President —
- Secretary — Angela Collins
- Treasurer — Bill Griffin/Linda Griffin
Current Board Members:
- Artistic Director —
- Chairperson of the Publicity Committee–Bob McPherson
- Chairperson of the Fundraising Committee– Mark Gillespie
- Immediate Past President–
- At Large Board Members — John Rees, Gary Pruett, and Jennifer Creasey
VOCE rehearses on Monday evenings at Dobson First Baptist Church.